10/26/08

Blogging the Koran


Good News! We're now members of The Atheist Blogroll! See the shiny new blogroll there in the sidebar? This is a free service that Mojoey at Deep Thoughts offers for all of us hellbound, unbelieving infidel bloggers. Since he started it, what, maybe a year ago, it's grown to almost 800 blogs, so we don't need to feel like we're all alone. That has been a lot of work, so mad props to Mojoey! When I've read too many news items about religious craziness and I need an antidote, I surf through some of these other blogs and regain my will to live. If you have a blog of your own think about joining up yourself. Just click on the red icon and it'll take you right there.

In other news...

Other people besides me are infected with this BloggingtheKoran virus. Most of the credit has to go to Kafirgirl, who is not only Teh Awesum for her writing and for her take on the subject, but in a roundabout way is responsible for this blog being born. See, over at Lolkoran I'm helping translate the Bad Book into Lolspeek. In order to do that we have to figure out what it means in the first place, which believe me is not fucken easy, even for Rewfcat! So I had a lot of notes, and they eventually turned into this blog. The Lolkoran got started in the first place when Watercat read Kafirgirl's blog, so she rules. She is the Queen of the Qur'an.

Atheist Exile is also infected. He started at the beginning of October, and is following the same order as me. He was even nice enough to give me a shoutout on his blog ☺, so I return the favor here. Go there and check out his blog. His Koran posts are short concise summaries, not long-winded bloviations like mine, so that's a good place to start.

Jihad Watch has a feature called Blogging the Qur'an, with Robert Spencer, who is a real expert on all this stuff, and it's an excellent resource. He's a little right wing for my taste--he's afiliated with Michelle Malkin somehow or other—but he knows his stuff and he connects it to current events.

There are some others, completed or inactive: The Guardian just ended a feature also called Blogging the Quran, put up by a ...mmm... believer. I wouldn't recommend it, and in fact John Eccles started up a blog just to address the problems with the Guardian project, but it seems to have died last April: Too bad. The other completed one that we couldn't possibly do without is the Skeptics Annotated Quran, which is like base camp for snarky study.

If anyone knows of any others, please clue me in, in the comments.

**Update: Deep Thoughts has posted my intro here. Props, and thanks!

No comments: