3/15/12

"You have no choice"


A woman tells her story in the Observer, it's pretty harrowing.

“I don’t want to have to do this at all,” “I’m doing this to prevent my baby’s suffering. I don’t want another sonogram when I’ve already had two today. I don’t want to hear a description of the life I’m about to end. Please, I can’t take any more pain.”

Before he could even start to describe our baby, I began to sob until I could barely breathe. Somewhere, a nurse cranked up the volume on a radio, allowing the inane pronouncements of a DJ to dull the doctor’s voice. Still, despite the noise, I heard him. His unwelcome words echoed off sterile walls while I, trapped on a bed, my feet in stirrups, twisted away from his voice.

Notice the part where they force the doctor to lie to you. This whole thing should be required reading.

No comments: